Friday, August 24, 2012

Little Victories...

TGIF....Hello everyone and happy Friday!  So today was my 1st weigh in and as you may have noticed on the weight tracker (right margin) that I lost 4.2 pounds this week.  Not too bad.  I have known from the start that this would be a sloooowwww process but...I will take that as a positive start to this Journey...a little victory! 

I also have experienced another little victory this week.  As you may know, I have Type II diabetes (My Mom and I call ourselves "Diabeticals") and I have been on insulin since the Fall of 2010.  I have to take long acting insulin at night and I take sliding scale (short acting) insulin during the day.  Typically, I take long acting insulin at night and as much as 30  units of short acting insulin per day.  My doctor has really wanted my fasting (morning) sugar to be 130-140 and that has not been happening over the last few years.  SO....Since I started this adventure....7 whole days ago.  My fasting sugar has dropped 40+ points and is right at 140.  That is really pretty amazing.  It would kinda be like me dropping 20 pounds in the 1st week...Another bonus is that I have only had to take approximately 10 units of short acting insulin per day for the last 3 days.  Less shots for me!!!!  More great things to come from this journey health wise I am sure!!!  Can't wait!

So today was a day of recovery for the this fluffy body of mine and I needed it...but tomorrow brings more exercise and the beginning of Week 2.  More swimming, biking and walking...I am actually looking forward to it and like I said, Can't wait to see what lies ahead.  But for now...ODAT (One Day At a Time)

I have decided to do a quick recap of this first week...just for fun...
  • I, while watching the Olympics and particularly while watching Misty May and Kerri Walsh win their 3rd consecutive Gold medal in Women's Beach Volleyball, became overwhelmingly inspired to make a big change in my life.
  • I decided that big Change would be to lose 120 lbs by August 17th 2013.
  • Furthermore, I decided to blog about my Journey on a daily basis as a motivational tool for myself.
  • To up the ante, I decide to tell everybody I have ever known that I am taking this Journey and asked them to follow along.
  • After doing this, surprisingly, I do not wake up the next day and say "What was I thinking"
  • As a fun final goal I decided that I wanted to plan to play a real, full on, hind end kickin', volleyball game on August 17, 2013 as a way of celebrating my new girlish figure.
  • I also decided that both Kerri Walsh and Misty May must know about this and I will make it another goal to contact them hopefully without making too big of a fool out of myself.
  • I had one last Fluffy Girl fling with Food and took part in the destruction of one of the largest Chocolate Eclairs on the planet. 
  • On the first day...I walked 1 mile with my BFF at 6:30 in the morning...A miracle mile!
  • Also on the first day, Kerri Walsh commented on Twitter about my blog and retweeted to it to all 130,000 of her followers. Wow!
  • I joined the YMCA (and have not formally paid homage to the Village People (YET)
  • I found out that Laughing is a good way to improve your health and lose weight...which works out well for me!!!
  • I have gotten tons of wonderful words of encouragement from family, friends and people I do not even know...Golden!!!
  • I have waxed poetic about being from the South and my love of food.
  • I have seen God's Blessings around every corner of this past week.
  • I have worked out even when I did not feel like it-Unexpected Will Power
  • I have made it through the 1st week and STILL am inspired....Journey 120-"MaWa" Inspired.
I hope this weekend is filled with fun, rest and lots of healthy living for everyone.  I will see you on Saturday!!!

Here is a great website my co-worker sent to me...fun food tips.  Good for Weight Watchers.  Thanks Lindsey!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Blessings for today

  • Funny Friday at work
  • Saturday and Sunday!!!

Have fun...see you tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Great first week!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ODAT! You are doing great this week! Keep up the focused work! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you girl! My daily prayers for success, encouragement, strength & willpower are with you! You can do this! I want to be at that volleyball game & see you in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna for reading and for the wonderful support...so important for this process...I will see you at the game!!

      Delete