Wednesday, June 19, 2013

God's Guidance--Start to Finish-A Rally to Serve

HI there...I hope today has been fantastic for all! 

I am going to take this time tonight to follow up with all of you regarding our fund raising event scheduled for August 24th 2013.

First of all, the event will mark my 1st year into this Journey to change my life...to better my health...to De-Fluff...to Become a Better Human Being!!!!

As most of you know, this Journey started in a rather surprising way for me.  After having tons of health struggles over the past several years...I was pretty much reduced to dreaming about being active again...So while watching the Olympics in 2012 (probably my favorite sporting event)...I became unexpectedly inspired to make a change...a REALLY BIG CHANGE...I decided to put every effort into losing 120lbs in one year!  In addition to that...I was planning on playing Volleyball again!!! 

As we approach the one year anniversary...I am increasingly accepting of the fact that this is probably going to be a 2 year Journey...However, we are STILL going to play volleyball!!!  BUT...I further became inspired to turn this milestone into a charity event...to give back some of the remarkable blessings I have received over the past 9.5 months.  So...we ( several friends/family and I) have started planning this event.  We have already witnessed some wonderful generosity.  Willowbrook Sports Complex donated the facility that we will be using...with 6 volleyball courts!!!!  All Indoors...as this event will be held in Houston in AUGUST!!!! 

I have several friends who have graciously volunteered to help plan this event and we are wading through the many steps it takes to host a charity fundraiser. 

The Event Name is:

Play It Forward-A Rally To Serve


I  have selected 2 Charities to support:

Cy-Hope Cy-Hope Website- A charity that was born out of the vision of the leaders of the church Mom and I attend. Please take a few minutes to check out the website and see what this organization is doing for the thousands of kids in the Cypress Fairbanks area that are under served. 

I want kids to have the opportunity to make good choices...healthy choices.  I want kids to know that there are people outside of (and in addition to) their family unit that will step up and help when needed.  I want these children to experience being active, learning, teamwork...all in a positive environment.

I also chose Good Tidings Foundation-  Good Tidings Website
This organization, much like Cy Hope, supports thousands of children in and around the San Francisco Bay area.  Using athletics, the arts, and education as a conduit for creating healthy options for kids. 

Now you might wonder why I chose Good Tidings...given that I do not live in California.  Well...I have 2 reasons.  Firstly, for me....geographic location is inconsequential when discussing children in need.  All of these children will be the next generation of leaders, parents, employers, employees...etc...They will be responsible for the care of the next generation of children in  need. 
Secondly, for those of you that have been following along, my inspiration during the Olympics was the Beach Volleyball team and Gold Medalists  Kerri Walsh Jennings and Misty May Treanor. 
As part of the fun of this Journey, I reached out to both via Twitter (yes, I tweet)...and much to my amazement and delight, I have been wonderfully supported by Kerri throughout this entire process. Unbelievably so!!!  Not only did she inspire me to be brave enough to play volleyball again...but her kindness and generosity of spirit has touched my heart and has given me strength well beyond just losing weight!  Good Tidings is a foundation that she supports and that serves her hometown area. 
This is my way of giving back to her.

So...I am asking all of you to be a part of this effort...in whatever way you can participate and contribute.  You all have already given me your time and your wonderful support and for that I am eternally grateful and immeasurably blessed. 

Over the next several days and weeks...I will be focusing on this event.  I really want to create an event that lets our community and communities every where know that kindness conquers and with God's help...we can overcome our challenges. 

We need lots of help and support!  For today...I am just going to list a few things that we are really focusing on and trying to check off of our "to do" list.

  1. We need Silent Auction items...Goods, Services, Event tickets, Sporting Event tickets, memorabilia...etc... Examples include:  Gift cards, Car Washes, Home Accessories, Jewelry, Baby items, Toys, Astros, Rockets or Texans Tickets...Sugarland Skeeters tickets...Theatre tickets...Travel related items...anything that might be a good auction item. 
  2. We are looking for T-shirts vendors who might be willing to donate or deeply discount T-shirts for our volleyball tournament.
  3. We are looking for someone who might be willing to do our printed materials for a deep discount or donation.
  4. Of Course....we are accepting Cash donations that will go directly to the charities. 
I know that many of you are super busy and barely have time to read my posts much less solicit items for our event...However, if you do have any contacts or suggestions...PLEASE send an email to the below email address.  Your efforts will not go un-appreciated!!! 

fluffy2lite@gmail.com

As always, I must voice that for me,  ALL of this would not be possible without knowing and trusting that God is guiding this entire Journey....Start to Finish!!!! 


Thank you for all of your support.  Much Love and Blessings,

Jaime




No comments:

Post a Comment