Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Where Happy Little Bluebirds Fly


It is a dreary Wednesday here in Houston...lots of gloominess.  That made my commute this morning "extra special"...Wowza!! 
So here I am at lunch and ironically, I am thinking about rainbows...just a few posts removed from saying that this blog will most likely NOT be about rainbows, fluffy clouds and unicorns in tall green grass.  Funny enough...I truly did not remember saying that until I actually typed the word "rainbow"...I REALLY am thinking about rainbows today.  Maybe not in the most traditional sense...but I am thinking about them.

 However, holding true to my previous statement...I will NOT be discussing fluffy clouds OR unicorns in tall green grass...I WILL be discussing MY fluffiness and the promise of rainbows. 

So everyday at work...I plug in my headphones and listen to my Pandora station of choice...For the past several work days I have been listening to my Eva Cassidy station which consists primarily of female vocalists...in my opinion, real singers...not just music artists.  But Eva Cassidy...if you have not heard her story, she is the inspirational voice for me.  In part, because she achieved acclaim AFTER she died of cancer at the age of 33.  But more so because of her family, friends and her small following of faithful fans that did everything they could to make sure the world heard her sing.  But the primary reason I find her inspirational is the heart with which she sings. 

So today I am working and I hear her version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.  One of those songs that just speaks so far beyond the original meaning of the lyrics...especially the way the she sings it. 
The lyrics of the song have special me...as does the song itself.  I always wanted to perform this song...my entire music career.  I actually did once...at the passing of a long life on this Earth...a celebration of that life...which was a perfect place to sing this song. 

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?


When I read the lyrics I think of the Promise the Rainbow represents...for me.  In my opinion, for Everyone.  God's Promise.

As I have struggles along this Journey to literally lose a portion of myself, I continue to believe that  while I "lose" I will gain so much more...I will find parts of myself, hidden behind the fluff...Somewhere over the Rainbow!

I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Genesis 9:13


If you have a moment to take and listen/watch the below recording...I think you will be touched by her heart. 


Somewhere Over the Rainbow-Eva Cassidy


SO...back to workouts tonight....Only a few days left in Week 25 and only a few days left of being 45 for me.  I told a friend that I would be 46 on Friday...and I am feeling younger and younger everyday!  Not kidding!!!

What God does for us-He does in us~ C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment