Saturday, January 26, 2013

It is All part of the Journey

Good Saturday Evening to you all!  It has been another full and enjoyable day.

Started the day with a 2 mile walk with Donna...We were slow to get out the door...but we made it!  No need to hurry on a Saturday!!!  We explored a new walking trail!  Another great day to be outside!  After the walk, we had some lunch and then it was Volleyball time with Emily! 

By the time we did all of that it was 2:00 PM and I headed home...After a short rest and a quick overhaul...Mom and I met our friend Stef and her sweet daughter Kendall for dinner and a movie.  We chose to see Les Miserable (or as I call it...Less Miserables).

  For those of you that do not know the musical or have not heard about the movie...This is no musical comedy...but instead a 2+ hour emotional beating at the hands of some brilliant actors and actresses.  The movie was fantastic.  It was a true musical adaptation for film.  No much spoken dialogue...and most of the musical numbers were not pre-recorded in a studio...but actually sung live during filming. You can thank me later for the movie review...You get a little bit of everything in this blog!!! 

Anyway, you need a bit of back story to appreciate the risk I took going to see this movie with my friend Stef.  First, Stef is DEEP feeler with a huge, soft, mushy heart!  Many years ago, I went to see the movie Titanic with her...it was just out and we were forced to sit on the 2nd row in the movie theater...it was packed!  The movie began and the story of the Titanic unfolded before our eyes...Leo and Kate falling in love and then of course...ending with the Leo as a Popsicle in the middle of the ocean...what you don't know is that during the entire (week long) sinking/death scene...my sweet, emotional friend sobbed...boo hooed and it was LOUD.   I had never been to a movie with anyone who so fully committed emotionally to a movie!!!  So...after that...I must say that seeing really sad movies with her was an intimidating proposition. 

So when I agreed to see Les Mis with her...well, I had to steel myself and prepare for the obvious agony she was going to be in during the film.  So, we have dinner and arrive at the movie theater only to find that the only seats are on the 2nd row of the theater!!! Deja Vu all over again!!! Titanic...here we come.

So as the agonizing stories of these lives unfold on screen, the poverty, death and destruction of the French Revolution is sung with these beautiful, haunting songs...I knew I was toast!  She was going to blow!!!  I sat there knowing that the tears would be streaming, the snorting would commence and the sobs would be heard!  Oh and all that happened...However, it was no Titanic!  We survived the French Revolution much better than we did the big shipwreck!!! 

So as I write this...I am aware that I have put my own dramatic little story telling twist on the evening...but there is a point I would like to make!  I like that I have people in my life that cry in movies, laugh out loud at jokes (especially if they are laughing at my jokes), sing along with a song they love (even if they don't have the best voice), dance to their favorite song and are not afraid to be themselves.  There is a great beauty in that!  There is something freeing about having people like that in my life!  By having people in my life that cry, laugh, sing, dance, etc, I have the courage to do this...to write down my experiences and share them you... if it is about my daily struggles to lose 120lbs or even if it is just about my Saturday night at the movies!  It is all part of the Journey!

Before I go...as I watched this movie tonight there was a particular line in a song sung in the Finale that really stood out for me...I am posting below!

"Take my hand
And lead me to salvation
Take my love
For love is everlasting
And remember
The truth that once was spoken
To love another person
Is to see the face of God."


Goodnight and here's to wonderful, LOVE filled Sunday!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment