Monday, January 7, 2013

Practice Being a Duck

It is Monday...in every sense of the word.  I once had to do a collage about myself in a Speech class in college.  The collage was supposed to tell our "story".  Our story in pictures from magazines,  newspapers, etc.... The collage was to reveal our likes and dislikes, things that made us happy and things that made us uncomfortable or sad...you get the picture.  Mine had pics of sports, dogs, water, mountains, FOOD (of course), my Mom...all the things that I love!!!  But right in the middle of the poster, in large lettering with a picture of a calender...there was the phrase.."I hate Mondays".  I was 19 years old then.  I do still love sports, dogs, water, mountains, FOOD (of course) and my Mom....AND I pretty much still hate Mondays. 

I would love to tell you that I am one of those eternally, outwardly happy people who loves everything...including Mondays...but that would be a lie...a gross injustice to my pledge to tell the truth here!!  Today is a particularly ugly Monday. 

So...I could vent here about all that is wrong with today...and honestly, I would probably feel better...but completely unproductive.  You know it must be bad...because I am blogging before my day has barely started.  But...here is the truth.  The details do not matter!  The absolute only thing I have any control over is how I react to my situation.  This is one of those moments when I know I must Let Go and Let God...I must relinquish my need to "say" something to change, alter or alleviate the situation. 

Now I know some of you out there are really great at this kind of Faith....some of you have managed to keep things in perspective and move forward not backward.  Some of you are Ducks!!  Let me explain...I once had a boss and friend who told me I needed to be more like a Duck...I needed to learn to let things roll off of my back...just like water rolls off of a duck's back.  I actually had the opportunity after he said that to me to watch a Duck swimming around a pond and got to watch how quickly and easily the water rolls right off of the duck's back...it really is interesting to watch.  If you think about it, a duck spends most of its time in water and very rarely appears to be wet.  I, on the other hand, can swim around my proverbial pond and come out looking like a drowned rat!  Not much duck action here!!! 

Being a duck sounds hard to me.  I can promise you that my feathers get ruffled and are NOT water resistant.  Today my feathers are ruffled.  My feelings are hurt and I am confused, overwhelmed and quite frankly...pissed! 

So what I can do???? Pray about being a Duck...pray for the strength to let things roll off my back...not take things too personally and remember that we are all human beings with human flaws.

I will work on channeling my energy into continuing this Journey to become a better, healthier, happier person.  Keep my focus on the day, the moment and not on what has happened or what might happen in the future.  I will work on not being a Procrastinator or a Prognosticator!  One Day at a Time. 

I will pray for guidance and trust this path.  I will continue to tackle challenges-physical and emotional knowing that God is in charge. 

I want to be a person that stands for the importance of teaching people how to treat me by how I treat others-in my personal and business life.  I have not always been too good at that!  There is a scene from the movie You've Got Mail...Meg Ryan's character is actually talking about a business relationship... really...these lines apply to Life for me.  Thought I would share!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DN57r3-xzE


The good news about a bad Monday...Is that in less than 24 hours, I get a chance to have a terrific Tuesday!!! 

God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had a bad Monday...but remember what Scarlett always ...tomorrow is another day. .love ya!

    Margaret.

    ReplyDelete